Saturday, May 30

Jaago Re!

Human processes and behaviors are not the only thing I learnt in Goa.

Fortunately for this nation, all youngsters and adults do not mirror my dislike for politics and civics. As the elections were in full swing when I was going through my lab, I often caught people discussing their candidates and political groups. During one such conversation, I overheard a woman speaking animatedly about something called the 49-O (read Forty-Nine-Oh), a government sanction to reject candidates contesting the polls.

An interesting excerpt I found on
www.dnaindia.com ... “All of us are aware that casting one's vote is a democratic right, and exercising that right is a civic duty of the highest order. But what if a voter doesn't find any of the candidates in fray from his constituency suitable for his or her vote?! The answer is - I Vote Nobody. As per Section '49-O' of 1969 Act, a citizen has the right to cast a vote by using 'I Vote Nobody', which means the citizen is not finding any of the contesting candidates eligible for his vote.”

A glance at Wiki tells me that the 49-O is a decree in The Conduct of Elections Rules, 1961. It describes the procedure to be followed when a valid voter decides not to cast his vote, and decides to record this fact. The purpose of this section is to prevent the election fraud or the misuse of votes. Since the ballot paper / Electronic voting machine (EVM) contains only the list of candidates, a voter cannot record his vote under Section 49-O directly. He must inform the presiding officer at the election booth (violating the secrecy of the ballot).

Unfortunately, not many of us know that we have such a right, so most people choose NOT to vote at all, thus bringing down the overall percentage of citizens voting across the country.
Wiki further relates that a hoax has been circulating which claims that if the '49-O' votes are more than those of the winning candidate, then that poll will be canceled and will have to be re-polled. The contestants will be banned and they cannot contest the re-polling.

Critics argue against this rule stating that it is the duty of every citizen to educate himself about the agenda of the candidates and to vote conscientiously for the individual they think is better than the others. Also, annulling an election would result in much waste of public funds spent to conduct polls.

I find this idea very intriguing, very commanding. I know it has it’s flip side, but the thought itself is very revolutionary...

Enough about that, I’ve got other things to share, too. Like this lovely sentence I read somewhere: The only way to make some things work is to give them a chance... How touching!

I was also touched when I saw my bro bounding and squealing like a kid when he was playing cricket with the children of a visitor. I haven’t seen him so jolly and enthusiastic in ages. He normally enjoys laughing at others expense, so this pure eruption of happiness was very refreshing. Guys are so happy when they watch/play cricket, na?!! It’s like their biggest dream ever has come true...

More about the books I’m reading/have read – Did I tell you about Twilight? I recall having told you that the book is fantabulous, but I didn’t let you in on the plot. It’s about this girl who falls in love with a vampire in school. The handsome and caring monster finds himself drawn to the girl’s blood, but more so to the person she is. And then starts their love story... Quite a teenage novel, this, but breathtaking all the same. I’m captivated enough to want to read the sequel New Moon, probably after I finish Almost Single; perhaps within a week.

A line that stayed with me long after I finished Twilight is when Edward says, “I’m essentially a selfish creature. I crave your company too much to do what I should.” I get goose-bumps and butterflies and all that when I imagine such romantic situations. Cheesy, eh?!! That’s me - a silly emotional fool who sobs through mushy scenes on TV and melodramatic incidents in movies... LOL

Almost Single is an uproarious novel with some very witty observations. It’s the life story of a woman in her late 20s, who is unmarried and caught up with all the wrong people. Quite the Bridget Jones! This one has smart statements, too. Like “Life’s like a book. You can get desperate to reach the end, and you skip a couple of chapters. When you finally get to the end, you have an icky feeling that brings you back to the missing chapters – knowing that without them, you can never say goodbye.” Ain’t this overwhelming??!! Besides that, I also learnt the very obvious but new (to me) interpretation of the term “liquid diet”... Booze, booze all the way!!

And a more profound one - you can only trust and commit to another when you understand and accept yourself... And what terrific one-liners!! A must-read for everybody!!

While we are on the topic of reading, let me also tell you that the Sunday Times last week said that metrosexuality is nothing but the forceful feminization of men. And I must say, I agree!! It’s wonderful till it’s about cleanliness and hygiene. However, men waxing and doing manicures is not exactly my idea of a perfect partner!! The rugged look actually endears at times!

(Don’t stop shaving guys. And bathe twice daily in this summer heat. And don’t forget the deo; Denim’s my favorite! Hint hint.)

Hey, forgot to tell ya, Mum's bought a Panasonic LE10 32" LCD for the house! Whata woman I tell ya... She just goes out one fine evening and comes back 30k lighter... LOL

Cheerio!
Anuja

1 comment:

The Bee said...

This is for your mom.

Atta girl, Mom! (Ok, Anuja's)! Cheers ! Thats the way to be !!
:)

Shadow

He looked at her like she was the air he breathed, Without, he would collapse.  He lived to see her smile, Her dimples, his prized possessio...