Wednesday, October 3

Oh-some Threesome


Time for another review, fellas!

(Is my blog getting too commercial and less personal? Well, apologies are in order if that is the case. However, I possibly cannot say no when someone offers me a free book (or a free meal / trip / ticket / tour / blah). Since my writing skills are above average, I guess it is part and parcel of the deal. Get something to experience and write a review in return.

Not a bad deal now, is it? In fact, I would call it my dream job. Offers anybody?)

:-)

The experience in question this time is a book by Rohit Gore impressively titled “Circle of Three”. The name enamored and excited me, but the book, sadly did not do much justice. No doubt the writing is engaging, but the plot could do with a little magic. You know what I mean? Something that was not so run off the mill.

Having read books of the caliber of the Godfather, Prisoner of Birth, Palace of Dreams, Fountainhead, (even the Harry Potter and Twilight series for that matter), I certainly expect more deep and engaging than the average Archie comics fan.

But let me tell you the story and then you can decide for yourself if this is your kinda novel or not.

It’s about three people, and every chapter is named “Three (something something)”. It’s like a progression of sorts, where three miserable individuals move on from their agonizing existence, due to certain circumstances, to a more live-able, pleasant life.

Thanks to each other, obviously. That’s why it’s a circle. Though a triangle would be more apt a shape…

So well… a boy who’s bullied by his schoolmates and ignored by his parents meets a woman who has lost her hubby and child and thereby her will to survive, and then they both meet a chap who is a glorified loser. They help each other re-discover themselves and this is what the book is all about. 

Sprinkle in some masala scenes and crazy side characters and you have a concoction called Circle of Three. 

As I said, nothing extraordinary. No doubt the author’s got literary prowess; he manages to make some drab scenes pretty exciting. But hey, we’ve all been there and done that. At least seen it, if not experienced it first-hand.

Honestly, I don’t know what else to say. If you’re the sort of reader (like me) who wants to read a book just for the sake of it, go ahead, grab a copy. But if you think time is money and you expect to read books that blow your mind off, let this one pass. I’m sure Mr. Gore’s next one will be much better. The author has it in him, hopefully it should be more evident the next time around.

Many thanks to Grapevine, though, for sending me this book to read and finding me worthy enough to express my two pence on it.

See you later, alligator.


Cheerio!
Princess  


1 comment:

Vishal Bheeroo said...

Hey Anuja
Wonderful review..well! Looking forward to it and as always trust your writing and review:)

Shadow

He looked at her like she was the air he breathed, Without, he would collapse.  He lived to see her smile, Her dimples, his prized possessio...